Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sun is shining, the weather is sweet...!

I've been in-country for a little over 10 months, not that I'm counting, and finally something has happened which I've been waiting for. This morning the air was crisp with the mountain dew and the sun's rays were playing hide and seek above the Tryavna Balkan Mountain, and with that I knew today's run would be a good one. I ran past the usual farmyard with its sheep, horses, roosters, and manic dog, and I began to brace for that infamous smell of manure. On most days it's so strong that I've mastered the skill of holding my breath for about 50 meters without hyperventilating, but today was different. As I approached the concrete electrical tower marking the start of my newfound talent I lost my sense of consciousness to the odor, maybe due to the bloom of the morning. Before I could recognize where my footsteps were landing the scent of manure came to me as a welcoming gesture, like a fist-bump from my best friend or a wink from my next-door neighbor. I wondered before coming to Bulgaria if I would ever find a new norm of essence for the tang of animal feces and today I think I realized it. Now, I don't want this to sound like my most prestigious accomplishment since arriving here, but I must admit that I'm finally beginning to feel accustomed to my surroundings. The cool mornings and pleasant afternoons are massaging my senses with bliss, which are making the thought of this past winter truly a thing of the past. Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and there will be peace and unending love in the world, but then again maybe that's asking too much!

Quotes of the Day:
"We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken away from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances and to choose one's own way." - Vicktor Frankl

"Caring about others, running the risk of feeling, and leaving an impact on people, brings happiness." - Harold Kushner

Beat on Repeat:
"Window Seat" - Erykah Badu

Peace, Love, and Understanding...





No comments:

Post a Comment