Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's My Anniversary!

Today, I've officially served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria for one-year. Looking back I can say that the challenges have been present, but so have the good times. It hasn't been painless, figuratively and literally, but the memories that have been made are priceless. I've battled the agony of rehabilitating a fractured kneecap and the frustrations of trying to learn and understand a culture that was as new to me as walking with two left shoes. But now, I'm here and the satisfaction of completing one year as a PCV brings with it a small dose of pride for which no amount of wealth or material gain can offer. I'm not dwelling on my successes or failures after one year, because I do realize that I have another one to complete, but sometimes in life it's a good thing to stop and smell the roses, as cliche as it might sound.

The longer I remain here the more I'm able to perceive the ordinary things in life that we, as human beings, often time overlook as being nugatory. For me it's the summertime scent of lavender and the sound of trees rustling in the wind as I run along the valley between my town and the next village. It's sitting on the edge of the lake and listening to the murmuring of frogs and crepitating grasshoppers while the sun is setting. It's also the friendly gesture of a wave from the waitress at the local restaurant as I enter the door, and the half-smile from the cashier at the grocery store as I hand her the correct change (FYI: she never smiles). I'm sure years after I've left this place, and I've forgotten the names of people I worked with, I will remember those aforementioned examples, and many more that have and will happen, of the time when simplicity took precedence over the chaos of life.

Quote of the Day:
"I believe that to have interfered as I have done as I always freely admitted I have done in behalf of His despised poor, was not wrong, but right. Now, if it is deemed necessary that I should forfeit my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice, and mingle my blood further with the blood of my children and with the blood of millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by wicked, cruel, and unjust enactments, I submit; so let it be done!" - Excerpt from speech given by John Brown after his conviction

Beat on Repeat:
"Philadelphia" - Neil Young

Peace, Love, and Understanding...

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog, especially the quotes and songs you have included along the way. It was nice meeting you last weekend, let me know if you're ever around Sliven or want to get together!

    ReplyDelete